Menstuff® has compiled the following information on the Effectiveness of a combination of Effective Microorganisms and Epilobium on the symptoms of chronic prostatitis: A preliminary prospective Double Blinded, Placebo Controlled Trial
A cohort study utilizing an extract of effective microorganisms combined with Epilobium parviflorum (EM-P) have demonstrated a decrease in white blood cells , and symptoms associated with prostatitis.
Purpose To Determine the effect of 21 days of a natural liquid cocktail in men presenting with a diagnosis of category IIIA prostatitis. This study addresses the combined effects of EM-X with Epilobium on White Blood Cell Concentration and patient symptomatology.
Prostatitis is a mysterious disease. The correct management and treatment of prostatitis has been elusive. It is one of the most common conditions in middle-aged and elderly males, with an incidence of approximately 50-60% of males age 40-60, increasing to an incidence of over 90% in men over 80. 4 Prostatitis has been described as the most common disease of middle-aged men (Chicago Medicine vol.99 No17). Charles Brendler, M.D. , chairman of urology at University of Chicago Medical School said that "We can't find normal prostate tissue [in men] over the age of 40." In 95% of all cases (of clinical prostatitis) the etiology is unknown. Dr. AE Feliciano, medical director, Manila Genitourinary Clinic, Philippines, states that No other infection is more complex to treat than an infection of the genitourinary tract as well as chronic prostatitis.
Studies suggests that Effective Microorganisms (EM-X aka: EM Bokashi), a mixed culture of beneficial microorganisms working together, produce bioactive substances that promote proper balance of the human bioflora. EM-X is an antioxidant liquid/cocktail that contains beneficial amino acids, antioxidants, enzymes and minerals8 . This natural antioxidant has been identified to exert positive health effects on numerous conditions including radiation exposure, boosting NK Lymphocyte activity, suppress the genesis and development and metastasis of a S-180 tumor cells and elimination of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus 9,10,11,12,13,14,15.
At the conclusion of our study we believe there will be a reduction in symptoms with concurrent reduction in the inflammatory process as evidenced by a reduction in the laboratory panel.
Patients and methods: Patients with a diagnosis of chronic (Category IIIA) prostatitis for at least 6 months underwent comprehensive evaluation including history, microbiologial assessment, quality of life and symptom assessment employing an International Prostatitis Symptom Survey. (IPSS) This prostatitis symptom specific evaluative instrument (includes which includes Symptom Frequency Questionnaire and Symptom Severity index [SSI] form. ) All patients were treated with 21 days of a natural cocktail derived from a combination of beneficial amino acids, antioxidants, enzymes and minerals produced from the fermentation of rice bran seaweeds and water and Epilobium parviflorum, a full spectrum liquefied Spargycic extraction.
Results: Of the 16 men who participated, only 6 completed the study. Microscopic evaluation of semen samples revealed evidence of infectious processes as determined by increased white blood cell (WBC) counts. Before application of the liquid cocktail, WBC concentration ranged from a low value of 2 WBC viewed per high power field (hpf) to a high value of 12 WBC/hpf. The average value being 5.6 WBC/hpf. Of the six volunteers, one was a placebo, 3 volunteers drank 28 drops twice daily and 2 volunteers imbibed 7 drops twice daily.
The values of WBC counts decreased in all 6 cases with a low value of 0.5 WBC/hpf to a high value of 5 WBC/hpf. The placebo value also decreased from 4 WBC/hpf to 1.5 WBC/hpf. The average value was 3 WBC/hpf.
The mechanism in which EM-X promotes health and vitality is not entirely clear. One mechanism of action includes enhancement of Natural Killer cell cytotoxicity. 16,17 The extract contains essential amino acids, antioxidants, enzymes and minerals. These components have been shown to individually be beneficial in promoting health. We are determining how synergistic these components operate when they are used together.
The steroid enzyme 5-alpha-reductase and aromatase (5-AR) has been implicated as a causative factor of Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (BPH). Individuals who have Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy have higher than normal 5-AR acitivity5,6 resulting in accumulation of prostatic dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Treatment strategies for prostatitis and BPH include preparations designed to inhibit the activity of 5-AR. Studies have shown that Epilobium acts not only as a 5-AR inhibitor2,3 but also possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-infectious characteristics as well. 1,7
The inflammatory process is often evidenced by an increase in white blood cells with concurrent increase in symptoms such as pain during urination, increased voiding, frequency, burning of the urethra, etc
1. Hiermann A; et al. Isolation of the antiphlogistic principle from Epilobium angustifolium Planta Med,57(4):357-60 1991 Aug.
2. Ducrey B, Marston A, Gohring S, Hartmann RW, Hostettmann K. Inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase and aromatase by the ellagitannins oenothein A and oenothein B from Epilobium species. Ducrey B; Marston A; et al. Planta Med. 63(2):111-2 1997 Apr.
3. Lesuisse D, etal. Determination of oenthein B as the active 5-alpha-reductase inhibiting principle of the folk medicine Epilobium parviflorum. J Nat Prod, 59(5):490-2 1996 May
4. Miller A. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Alt Med Rev 1996;1(1):18-25
5. Metcalf B, Levy M, Holt D. Inhibitors of steroid 5 alpha-reductase in benign prostatic hyperplasia, male pattern baldness and acne. Trends Pharmacol Sci 1989;10;491-495
6. Tenover J. Prostates, Pates and Pimples. The potential medical uses of steroid 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors. Endocrin Metab Clin of N America 1991;20:893-909
7. Ivacheva S, et al. Polyphenols from Bulgarian medicinal plants with anti-infectious activity. Basic Life Sci, 59():717-28 1992.
8. Teruo,Higa An Earth Saving Revolution A means to resolve our world¹s problems through effective Microorganisms Sunmark Publishing Inc. Tokyo, Japan 1996. pp. 203
9. Zhong Z, etal. Study on Toxicological Test of EM-X Guangxi Institute of Traditional Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, China. Presented at the 5th International Congress on ³Ecology and Cancer.². Nov 5-7, 1999 Okinawa, Japan.
10. Ruiyun P, etal. Study of the Effects of EM-X on Hematopoietic Tissue of Rats. Beijing Institute of Radiation Medicine, China. Presented at the 5th International Congress on ³Ecology and Cancer.². Nov 5-7, 1999 Okinawa, Japan.
11. Chen X, etal. Study of the Effects of EM-X on Rat¹s Autonomic Nervous System Beijing Institute of Radiation Medicine, China. Presented at the 5th International Congress on ³Ecology and Cancer.². Nov 5-7, 1999 Okinawa, Japan.
12. Konoplya E.F., Higa, T. EM-X Application in Case of Radiation Exposure. Presented at the 5th International Congress on ³Ecology and Cancer.². Nov 5-7, 1999 Okinawa, Japan.
13. De Wen, W, etal. Suppressive Effects of EM-X on genesis and development of S-180 sarcoma in mice Institute of Radiation Medicine, Beijing China. Presented at the 5th International Congress on ³Ecology and Cancer.². Nov 5-7, 1999 Okinawa, Japan.
14. Ishikami, M. Elimination of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) by EM-X Treatment. Senior Citizens Clinics, Yamagata, Japan. Presented at the 5th International Congress on ³Ecology and Cancer.². Nov 5-7, 1999 Okinawa, Japan.
15. Xian S, et al. Effects of the Metabolism of Free Radicals in Type II Diabetes department of Endocrinology, Guangxi Medical University, China. Presented at the 5th International Congress on ³Ecology and Cancer.². Nov 5-7, 1999 Okinawa, Japan.
16. Ghoneum, M, Namatalla G. Effective Microorganisms (EMX) Enhances Murine NK Cell Activity in vivo and in Vitro Department of Otolaryngology. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los angeles, Calif. Presented at the Third International Workshop of the Society for Natural Immunity Dec 2-6, 1995, Oxnard, Calif and presented at the American Association for Cancer Research AACR/JCA Conference on ³Biology of Cancer; Implications for Prevention and Therapy February 17, 1995.
17. Ghoneum, M, Higa, T. Susceptibility of EMX-Treated Tumor Cells to NK Cell Cytotoxicity in Vitro. Presented at the American Association for Cancer Research AACR/JCA Conference on ³Biology of Cancer; Implications for Prevention and Therapy February 17, 1995.
Source: Clapp, L and Benton, J, email@example.com