Menstuff® has information on Shoplifting.
Consider these statistics:
- 1 out of 11 (23 million) people shoplift in America.
- There is no typical profile of a shoplifter. A shoplifter can
- Contrary to myth, men and women shoplift equally.
- 25% of shoplifters apprehended are juveniles, 75% are adults,
55% of adults began shoplifting in their teens.
- Shoplifters are caught an average of once out of 48 times.
They are turned over to the police 50% of the time.
- The vast majority of shoplifters are nonprofessionals who
steal not out of financial need or greed but as a response to
social and personal pressures in their lives.
- Approximately 73% of nonprofessional shoplifters don't plan
their thefts in advance.
- 59% of shoplifters often buy some merchandise and steal other
- The excitement generated from "getting away with it" produces
a chemical reaction resulting in what shoplifters describe as an
high" feeling. Many shoplifters will tell you that this high is
their "true reward", rather than the merchandise itself.
- Drug addicts who become addicted to shoplifting describe
shoplifting as equally addicting as drugs.
- 86% of kids say they know other kids who shoplift.
- 57% of adults and 33% of juveniles say that it is hard for
them to stop shoplifting, even after getting caught.
- Most nonprofessional shoplifters don't commit other types of
crimes. They'll never steal an ashtray from your house and will
return to you a $20 bill you may have dropped.
* * *
The faults of the burglar are the qualities of the financier. -
George Bernard Shaw
Us | Disclaimer
Menstuff® is a registered trademark of Gordon Clay
©1996-2017, Gordon Clay