Childhood Sexual Abuse

Menstuff® has compiled the following information on Childhood Sexual Abuse. This advertisement ran in the local bi-weekly paper today. Reporting Abuse

The sound a child makes when
sexually assaulted is often silence.


Read Copy

Big Question!

Do you know who the perpetrators are? Which relationship represents over 71% of the perpetrators of all reported childhood sexual abuse cases? Strangers__ or Non-strangers __. Make your selection before checking the answer.

Related Issues: Child Maltreatment, Abued Boys, Resources, Publications
Other Ads in the Series

Copy in the above print ad reads: No matter how well you think you know your children, you may never know what they're hiding inside. Children who have been sexually exploited are usually at a loss for words. And silence speaks to the fact that less than 35% of these victims report to the police. So keep a careful eye on your children. Make them feel comfortable and safe enough to tell you any problems that they may be having. To report child sexual exploitation, call the police. Then call us at 1-800-843-5678 or contact us at www.cybertipline.com. We work tirelessly with law enforcement to bring these child molesters to justice. Just as important, we give victims a voice. So an unspeakable act never leaves a child speechless for life. National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. We're here because they're out there.

Editor's comment:  The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children only works to locate and prosecute 29% of the perpetratos. What's misleading about this ad is that their definition of child molesters excludes the other 71% of the perpetrators as if they don't exist.

Who Are these Child Molesters? The actual answer, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Over 71% of the prepatrators are familiar to the family: Parents are involved in over 50% of sexual abuse. The difference between mothers and fathers is less than 8%. Mothers are perpetrators in over 27% of cases, fathers in over 35% of cases. :The break-down ranked by incidence: Male parent only - 20.8%; Both parents - 12.3%; Female parent and other - 11%; Female parent only - 3.9%; Male parent and other 2%. Family relative 18.2%, substitute care providers - 2.8%. Which means that at least 71% of the cases involve a parent/caretaker.

In the case of over-all child maltreatment, the most common pattern is a child victimized by a female parent acting alone (44.7%). Both parents were identified as perpetrators for 17.7% of the child victims, and male parents acting alone were identified as perpetrators for 15.9% of the victims. Thus, at least one parent was identified as the perpetrator for 87.3% of the victims. Substitute care providers and family relatives were identified as perpetrators 5.4 % of the victims.
Source: Child Maltreatment 1999, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Administration on Children, Youth and Families Children's Bureau. 800.FYI.3366 or www.calib.com/nccanch (The annual report usually comes out in September of each year.)

*    *    *



Contact Us | Disclaimer | Privacy Statement
Menstuff® Directory
Menstuff® is a registered trademark of Gordon Clay
©1996-2017, Gordon Clay